Friday, August 26, 2016

COOK: Chicken-Wild Rice Hotdish

I blew my family's mind last night. I served this hotdish and the girls told me it was the best meal I've made all summer, and Troy ate thirds!
I based the recipe off Betty Crocker's Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole, but I had to change a few things around to accommodate what we like in our house and what ingredients I had.

5 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain brown rice
3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
Bring rice to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 45-50 minutes until rice is done and water is absorbed.

4 tbs butter
4 tbs flour
Salt, pepper, Wildtree scampi blend
4 cups milk
Melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and seasonings. Cook about a minute until slightly browned. Whisk in the milk gradually and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.

 1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
Combine the white sauce, sour cream, broth, Parmesan and seasonings in a bowl. Mix in the cooked rice and about 4 cups (or 1 pound) cut up cooked chicken. Spoon into a casserole dish and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Makes about 8 servings and a very happy family.

I served this with peas on the side.

For dessert, I peeled, halved, and pitted about 10 peaches. I placed them in a baking dish and poured a melted stick of butter over them. I placed 1/2 tsp brown sugar in each cavity and sprinkled the whole with cinnamon. I baked them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and served them warm with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment